I finished hooking Alexander At Sauder. Now on to binding.
Things I learned by hooking this rug:
1. value (lightness and darkness) matters more than anything
2. color matters but much less than value
3. color needs to be grouped for impact
4. pebbling stitches allows for much more integrated effect than hooking rows side-by-side
5. the more colors the better: I used 12 colors in this rug in all 8 values which means 76 different color intensities. There are 68 color intensities in the face alone.
The colors I used:
Ring 'O Rosie 161
Faune Brown 114
Red Oak 144
Blush Red 113
Sea Shells 142
Alexander Blue 109
Gossamer Gray 131
Shades of Dusk 123